MEDICAL ANTIQUES ARCHIVES
All pictures and text on this site are copyrighted ©1982-2018 Alex Peck. All rights reserved.
A fine Civil War date antique medicine bottle that is embossed: U.S.A. / HOSP. DEPT. The amber-colored U.S. Army Hospital Department bottle stands 9 inches tall and it has an applied lip.
A c. 1900 antique neurological Vernon's percussor with baleen stem.
A c. 1800 antique bloodletting barber surgeon's bowl in silverplate.
A very rare C. 1770 antique tobacco enema burning box. The instrument is made of finely-machined brass with bayonet mounts. The burning chamber has a removable cap and is covered with an insulating wood sleeve (now cracked from shrinkage and in two pieces). An exact duplicate, less the cap, is shown in Bennion, Antique Medical Instruments, p. 174, pl. 23. 11" long.
A c. 1880 Budd's obstetrical forceps marked: Tiemann & Co. This forceps was introduced in the mid 1870s and closely resembles Simpson's forceps, though the finger grips in the handles are not as pronounced. The handles on this example are ebony. See Das, p. 468 and fig. 554. Also, Tiemann 1889, p. 538, fig. 3753.
An antique phrenology bust from the Imperial Austrian Porcelain Works, Vienna. The base of the antique phrenology head is marked with the shield emblem of the Kaiserliche Porzellanmanufaktur, Wien, and the date 839.
A c. 1870 antique Stokes' monaural ebonized-wood stethoscope with distinctive shaped-earpiece. This instrument was invented by William Stokes (1804-1878), of Dublin, who was an early follower of Laennec. Stokes is noted for his studies on diseases of the chest and the heart and aorta. See Tiemann 1889, p. 5, fig. 1031.
A c. 1880 antique Allis' ether inhaler with interior cotton artificial sponge shown both partial inserted and removed from the housing. The inhaler was invented in 1874 by Oscar H. Allis (1836-1931) of Philadelphia. See Tiemann 1889, p. 43, fig. 1249.
A very rare George Tiemann & Co, New York, antique bloodletting cupping set. The set includes a superb and Tiemann-marked twelve-bladed brass scarificator, five fitted-cups (an additional small cup is also in the set), and a glass and brass spirit lamp to heat the cups. The cups are held in place by compressions rings in the bottom of the case, and the scarificator has its own separate compartment. The ornate 67 Chatham Street trade label attached to the interior lid indicates a c. 1863-4 date and, while not pictured with the trade labels reproduced in Edmonson, it is an adaptation of a slightly earlier 63 Chatham Street label that Edmonson illustrates. All American cupping sets are scarce, and this is the first American cupping set of this sort that this collector has seen. Note that Edmonson only shows cupping sets with valve-and-pump systems.
An antique trephine by Down, London. This antique neurosurgical instrument is in very fine condition and has an ebony handle.
Two mid-nineteenth century antique fetal destruction instruments. The upper instrument is a blunt hook and crotchet. The lower instrument is called Ramsbotham's decapitation hook and it has an ebony handle.
A 6" wide c. 1950 x-ray sign made in cast aluminum.
A fine and decorative c. 1830s Staffordshire antique leech jar. The jar is large, having a 10 inch diameter at the rim…nearly 12 inches at the handles…and standing 15 inches high. The handles are more delicate than the typical jar of this form as seen in Bennion and Crellin. The underside of the base is impressed: M. TOMLINSON / HULME. Crellin, p. 129, states that this is the mark of a wholesaler in Manchester. Godden, the expert on British pottery, lists a Tomlinson as active from 1801-1834. The jar is in very good condition, noting that the lid is a professional restoration. The handles, which are most often damaged in jars of this pattern, are perfect. The original decorative flourishes and lettering LEECHES are superb and have strong color and applied gold. This is a most desirable bloodletting artifact and a magnificent display piece.
A very fine 1840s antique trephine set by Max Wocher, Cincinnati. All the original instruments are present, including a chisel, a lenticular and a double-ended elevator forceps, all rare in American trephine sets. (No American trephine set in Edmonson has these three instruments.) But for the horn trephine brush, the handles are walnut, rather than the typical ebony. The rosewood veneered case has inlaid stringers of a lighter colored wood. The trephines, chisel, and scalpel are marked with the Wocher name. Wocher's printed blue cloth trade label MANUFACTURED / by / MAX WOCHER / College Street opposite the Medical College is pasted to the upper right of the interior lid. This particular address is not listed in Edmonson. See Edmonson, p. 249, for other Wocher addresses.
A c. 1860 ceramic antique phrenology bust by Lorenzo N. Fowler, 337 Strand, London. The address is that of Fowler's London publisher William Tweedie. Prior to setting-up a permanent office in London on Fleet Street, in 1863, Fowler used Tweedie's establishment as the center of his English business. This is a genuine early example of the iconic antique Fowler phrenology head. ~11.5" tall.
An antique bent clinical thermometer marked: Geo. Tiemann & Co. Pat. June 12 ‘77. This antique thermometer is in working condition and comes with its original leather carrying case. See Tiemann 1889, p. 4, fig. 1015.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40. 41. 42. 43. 44. 45. 46. 47. 48. 49. 50. 51. 52. 53. 54. 55. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65.
Home Page Collecting Alerts Reference Books Wants