ALEX PECK MEDICAL AND SURGICAL ANTIQUES ARCHIVES
All pictures and text on this site are copyrighted ©1982-2023 Alex Peck. All rights reserved.
Send a Message
A c. 1880 antique ear trumpet made of tin with a black and gold tone finish. The body of the ear horn is a series of soldered doughnut-shaped segments. The bulbous segments were designed to further amplify sound. This type of antique hearing device is identified as a Corrugated Ear Trumpet in the George Tiemann 1889 catalogue, p. 189, fig. 2034.
A fine c. 1840 ivory-handled antique dental toothkey. This dental tooth extracting instrument has an unusual dimpled and rotating bolster and claw.
A c. 1910-20 antique binaural stethoscope.
An antique surgical tenaculum marked: Rose / New York. The instrument folds into tortoise shell covers. Peter Rose, who was active in New York City from 1829 to 1845, is noted for his high quality surgical instruments and for superb bowie knives.
A c. 1950s Cyprane inhaler mask with canister for Trimar (trichloroethylene), funnel, key, instructions, and original box. The outfit appears to have never been used. The instrument was made in England and sold through the Ohio Chemical & Surgical Equipment Co.
A rare c. 1850 Dr. Bar's monaural stethoscope in fruitwood. This antique stethoscope has an unusual cone within the earpiece. 12 cm long.
A dated 1814 antique medal honoring vaccination in Paris, France. Note the two vaccination instruments above the dairy cow on the obverse. The solid silver coin is 32.7 cm in diameter.
A rare Civil War stereopticon card photograph titled: CONFEDERATE HOSPITAL (GETTYSBURG). The Confederate soldiers were convalescing at Camp Letterman General Hospital, the largest hospital at Gettysburg. A few of the wounded are on crutches and have had a leg amputated. Confederate dress is evident, as well as a Union guard. The identical image is in the National Archives. See http://www.nps.gov/gett/getttour/sidebar/letterman.htm. This image is not reproduced in Frassanito, Early Photography at Gettysburg.
An 1855 doctor's bill submitted by Dr. Oscar Lorraine Dewees to Mrs. Martha D. Alexander, the owner of a plantation north of Jackson, Mississippi. The bill came to $70.50 and covers the year's treatment of slaves. Two entries deal with the treating of Eliza, one for an abortion and a month later for a delivery! Dewees (1816-1859) was born in Philadelphia and died in Livingston, Mississippi. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1838.
A c. 1850 Tarsitani obstetrical forceps marked: CHARRIERE / A PARIS. The forceps was introduced c. 1843 by the Neapolitan Tarsitani, and represent part of the evolution of Hugh Lennox Hodge’s forceps of 1833. An unusual feature of this forceps is that the end of each handle can be used as a blunt crotchet and that each handle unscrews to reveal an additional obstetrical instrument. The left handle becomes a sharp hook and the right becomes a perforator. See Das, p. 340, and figs. 395-396.
An interesting and very well-made antique massage roller of turned rosewood. The instrument is marked with an 1892 patent date.
Send a Message
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40. 41. 42. 43. 44. 45. 46. 47. 48. 49. 50. 51. 52. 53. 54. 55. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65.
Home Page Collecting Alerts Reference Books Sale Catalogue Wants