ALEX PECK MEDICAL AND SURGICAL ANTIQUES ARCHIVES
All pictures and text on this site are copyrighted ©1982-2023 Alex Peck. All rights reserved.
Send a Message
A high quality c. 1840 antique minor surgery set by MANDER / REGENT ST. [London?], a maker not listed in the standard references. Of the 14 instruments present, 10 have ivory handles. A silver cartouche on the lid is hand-engraved: Adams.
A Roberts' monaural antique stethoscope marked: YOUNG / EDIN[BURG]H. The stem unscrews and stores within the earpiece for ease of carrying.
A very rare c. 1770s double-ended dental extracting pelican made by John Rogers of Newton, Massachusetts. An identical dental antique instrument is at Harvard.
An antique rectal surgery set by Charles Truax, Chicago. The set includes a rectal speculum with ebony obturator, three bottles, two syringes (one with a cocaine cannula), a silver probe, and three instruments with ivory handles. This dealer has not seen a similar proctologic set. A nearly identical set is illustrated in the Truax, Greene & Co. catalogue of 1893, p. 1568.
A fine and pristine c. 1880s antique post mortem set by John Reynders & Co., New York. The set is complete and all the instruments are original. The saw and large knife and the ivory handle that they share are especially high quality. The case and the ivory scalpel handles bear the monogram A.M.H., apparently the original owner. This is a superb American antique autopsy set. See Edmonson, p. 227.
c. 1870 antique Cammann binaural stethoscope marked: Dr. CAMMANN / STETHOSCOPE //
Tiemann & Co. The owner's name, Dr. John Hatton, is written in several places on
the tooled--leather case. Hatton (1839-1898) was graduated from
A c. 1840 thinned-down, late model, antique Laennec monaural stethoscope with plug. The removable plug was used for listening to heart and voice sounds. The ivory earplate is missing.
A c. 1900 antique hypodermic syringe by L. Dumez-J. Lepetit, Paris. Wire clean-outs are stored in the lid.
A c. 1860 antique ear trumpet with ivory earpiece. Attached to the front base of the bell is a metal plaque embossed: WEISS / 62, STRAND / LONDON. Weiss was the leading surgical instrument maker in London at the time and similar ear trumpets are featured in the Weiss catalogue of 1863. Note the identical 6 petal flower design of the grill in this example to that shown in the catalogue illustration. Weiss ear trumpets are scarce.
Samuel Preston Moore, A Manual of Military Surgery Prepared for the Use of the Confederate States Army. Richmond: Ayres & Wade, 1863. The only edition. With 30 plates and 174 figures, this was the first of only two illustrated military surgical manuals to have been compiled and printed in the Confederacy. During the Civil War, Dr. Moore was the surgeon general of the Confederate States Army Medical Department. According to several inscriptions in this book, Moore presented this copy to George W. Kyser while Kyser was serving at Howard's Grove Military Hospital, Richmond, Virginia. Kyser saw duty during the Civil War as a hospital steward and graduated from the Medical College of Virginia in 1865. Dr. Kyser practiced in Richmond, Alabama, after the war. This genuine Confederate surgical manual is a remarkable artifact of the Civil War.
A c. 1870s antique minor surgical set by the rare maker J.H.A. Folkers & Brother, San Francisco. See Edmonson, p. 173.
A very well made c. 1830 antique amputee's combination knife and fork.
An antique obstetrical forceps by the New York Surgical Instrument Company. The handles of this Bedford OB forceps are ebony. The maker was in business only from 1881 to 1887. See Tiemann 1889, p. 540, Fig. 3762, and Edmonson, p. 226. Gunning S. Bedford (1806-1870), the inventor, was an American obstetrician.
A c. 1890 antique Traube's percussion hammer with ivory scales to the handle. The instrument was invented by Dr. Ludwig Traube (1818-1876).
A vintage Littmann binaural stethoscope made by Cardiosonics. Cardiosonics, Inc., of Cambridge, Massachusetts, was co-founded by David Littmann, M.D., the stethoscope's inventor, and it was in business from 1963 to 1967 when the company was sold to 3M. Dr. Littmann (1906-1981) was a noted cardiologist and teacher at Harvard Medical School.
Send a Message
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40. 41. 42. 43. 44. 45. 46. 47. 48. 49. 50. 51. 52. 53. 54. 55. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65.
Home Page Collecting Alerts Reference Books Sale Catalogue Wants