MEDICAL ANTIQUES ARCHIVES
All pictures and text on this site are copyrighted ©1982-2017 Alex Peck. All rights reserved.
A well-made tin c. 1860 antique ear trumpet with telescoping tube and large bell.
A fine c. 1850 antique Read's New Patent enema with rare original brass-bound mahogany case. The reservoir has a fancy applied plaque that states: READ'S NEW PATENT / 35, REGENT CIRCUS / LONDON.
A c. 1850 medicine chest put-up by Header & Riches, Torquay [England]. All bottles and other contents, including a balance, are original. The set was in use until at least 1919, a date found on a re-filled bottle.
A handsome CDV of Dr. John F. Huber (1837-1868) in Federal uniform. The reverse of the CDV is signed: Your affectionate father / J.F. Huber / late Surgeon in 131st Pa. Vol. / now Med. Director / Genl. Franklin's Div. The photograph was taken c. 1863 at a Lancaster studio. Huber served as a surgeon in the 49th and 131st Pennsylvania Infantry from August 1861 to May 1863. Huber became a Cvil War Surgeon U.S. Volunteers in November 1863, and he was mustered out in June 1866. During part of this period, he was in charge of the U.S. Army hospital at Hilton Head. Huber lived in Lancaster and was an 1859 graduate of the Pennsylvania Medical College. This school was established in 1839 by Dr. George McClellan and, though a part of the Gettysburg-based Pennsylvania College, it was sited in Philadelphia. It went out of business in 1861.
An eighteenth century trocar with horn handle and iron cannula.
A rare and complete c. 1830 trephine set by John Rorer, Philadelphia. Unusual features include a fully blued-blade to the Hey’s saw and a distinctive Rorer inset brass lid handle. The trephine set is a good match to a Rorer amputation set illustrated in Edmonson, p. 24, fig. 27 through 29. Rorer surgical sets and instruments are of high quality.
An 1840s Petit spiral tourniquet with the turn stamped: U.S. ARMY / HOSP. DEPT. / W.R. GOULDING. These rare markings indicate that this tourniquet probably came from a Federal government issued Mexican War period surgical set. The New York firm William R. Goulding was active from 1844 to about 1854. See Edmonson, p. 218.
A c. 1850 antique tourniquet by Young, Edinburgh. This Petit tourniquet has never been used and still retains its original seal that keeps the woven linen strap wrapped in place.
A c. 1880s Emmet's suture needle holder, unmarked but made by Katsch, Munich. The handles are ebony.
A c. 1880 antique Collins' nasal speculum.
A c. 1900 antique chloroform glass bottle within its original protective screw-open metal canister. The lid to the case is hand-engraved: CHLOROF[ORM].
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40. 41. 42. 43. 44. 45. 46. 47. 48. 49. 50. 51. 52. 53. 54. 55. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65.
Home Page Collecting Alerts Reference Books Wants