ALEX PECK MEDICAL AND SURGICAL ANTIQUES ARCHIVES
All pictures and text on this site are copyrighted ©1982-2017 Alex Peck. All rights reserved.
An antique photograph of a doctor in his office with a Bausch & Lomb microscope and Cammann binaural stethoscope. The image is dated May 1883.
A very long (35.5cm) antique monaural stethoscope for use on patients with highly contagious diseases or otherwise objectionable to get too close to during an examination. The thought was that a longer than normal stethoscope would give added protection to the doctor. The lower picture indicates the relative size of the pauper's stethoscope next to a more commonly-sized stethoscope (17cm).
A …theater cap and mask as worn by Dr. Chris Barnard… with a complimentary card of the Department of Cardiac Surgery, a dated 1981 cover letter on the stationary of the School of Medicine, University of Capetown, from the secretary of the department, and mailing envelope. Christiaan Barnard, M.D. (1922-2001), was the first surgeon to perform a human heart transplant.
A small working model of a folding medical stretcher/cot. The canvas is stamped: ARMY. The legs of this antique stretcher can be folded-away. This is either a patent or teaching model. One foot long.
A fine minor surgery set by W.F. Ford and Co., New York, the three-part wallet in red leather with nice gilding decoration. The set includes 14 pieces, including a porcelain tipped Nelaton's bullet probe. A few of the instruments are replacements. The wonderful feature of the set is a large silver presentation plate affixed to the closing flap. The engraved plaque reads: Presented to W.J.G. Dawson MD House Phys[icia]n / Lunatic Asylum N.Y. March 31st, 1868. / By the Comm[issione]rs of Public Charities & Correc[tio]n / Isaac Bell Jas. B. Nicholson O.W. Brennan / Jas. Bowen. The jeweler engraving is of the highest quality. William Joseph Gremley Dawson (1846-1918) was born in Canada and got his medical degree from the University of New York in 1867. He moved to California and had practices in San Francisco, St Helena, and Eldridge. He was affiliated with the California Home for Feebleminded Children, and died in Eldridge in 1918. Interestingly, Edmonson's directory includes a cased Cammann stethoscope by Ford that has a plaque with a presentation to another doctor by the same four commissioners and dated six months later in 1868! See Edmonson, p. 82, fig. 103.
An 1860s antique binaural stethoscope with unplated steel yoke marked: Dr. CAMMANN'S / STETHOSCOPE // W. F. Ford N[ew] Y[ork]. The earpieces are ivory, and the fabric-covered tubing is intact. See Edmonson, p. 218.
A stereoview of a Civil War leg amputation scene at Camp Letterman General Hospital, Gettysburg, October 1863. The surgeon stands in profile and holds a large Liston flap amputation knife. An assistant can be seen administering anesthesia to the patient. For an excellent discussion of this photo and others of the type, see William Frassanito, Early Photography at Gettysburg.
A c. 1860 antique Coxeter's bullet scoop (extractor) marked COXETER on the ferrule and COXETER INVENTOR / MAKER LONDON on the shaft. See Weiss 1863, pl. XXXIX, fig. 29.
A c. 1850 Paul Dubois (1795-1871) antique obstetrical forceps marked: CAPRON / A PARIS. An unusual feature of this forceps is that the end of each handle can be used as a blunt crotchet and that each handle unscrews to reveal an additional obstetrical instrument. The left handle becomes a sharp hook and the right becomes a perforator. See Hibbard, pp. 63-64, and fig. 5.7.
A c. 1850 daguerreotype photograph of a gentleman with slit pupils. This ophthalmologic condition is known as Rieger's Anomaly/Syndrome. For a description of the disorder, please click here. This a fine antique medical photograph of a rare eye malformation.
A good quality c. 1880 antique hypodermic syringe set that includes, two needles, extra plunger washers, and some wire clean-outs which are stored in the lid.
A hand-illustrated facsimile of an Ottoman Turk birthing. A rather pained looking mother is at the moment of delivery, and the midwife's left hand is pulling the baby's right arm. The mother is seated and completely nude.
A c. 1860 antique neurosurgical trephine with ebony handle. The conical cutting crown is known as Galt's. The crown is quite narrow and the sloped sides made removing the cut bone disk easier, i.e., the diameter of the hole at the outer surface of the skull would be larger than the cut disk, itself. The centering pin works properly. The steel portions of the instrument retain most of their original protective bluing.
A late 1860s antique Cammann's binaural stethoscope made by Codman & Shurtleff, Boston. The modified adjustable tension to the ear tubes is associated with Dr. Frederick Irving Knight (1841-1909), of Harvard, and the instrument is known as Knight's binaural stethoscope. However, the credit for the design belongs to Moses G. Farmer (1820-1893), an electrical engineer and inventor, as Knight related in 1869. The metal work is German silver, the flexible tubes covering is woven silk, the bell and junction are ebony, and the markings are precise and tight, all characteristics of an early Knight's double stethoscope by the original maker Codman & Shurtleff.
A finely made c. 1800 antique obstetric crotchet with ebony handle and silver ferrule.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40. 41. 42. 43. 44. 45. 46. 47. 48. 49. 50. 51. 52. 53. 54. 55. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65.
Home Page Collecting Alerts Reference Books Sale Catalogue Wants