ALEX PECK MEDICAL AND SURGICAL ANTIQUES ARCHIVES
All pictures and text on this site are copyrighted ©1982-2019 Alex Peck. All rights reserved.
An interesting c. 1920 antique binaural stethoscope by Spengler. Note the unusual fittings for attaching the tubing. The finger rest is ebony.
A World War I British army medical armband with applied felt red cross and ink stamping: ARMY MEDICAL / SERVICE. The original two horn buttons are present.
A Staffordshire c. 1840 antique leeches jar of the Alcock type. Fine and original bloodletting antique.
A c. 1820 dental scaling set with nine attachments that screw into a hippo ivory handle. This antique dental set is complete and includes its original case with mirror.
A c. 1930 antique Coolidge x-ray tube made by General Electric. The basic form of this hot cathode high vacuum tube was invented by William David Coolidge (1873-1973) in 1913.
A 14K gold antique clinical thermometer case engraved: Wm. W. Lougee, M.D. / 1914. The thermometer is by Becton, Dickinson & Co., Rutherford, New Jersey.
A very fine set of Civil War Medical Staff shoulder board insignia. The extra rich grade surgeon's straps have triple borders. The applied Old English M.S. letters are metal.
A c. 1860 Dr. Butcher's antique amputation saw. An unusual feature of the Butcher is a blade that can be rotated to cut at any angle and beneath a flap. Dr. Richard George Herbert Butcher (1816-1891), a Dublin surgeon of note, invented the instrument in 1851. This is one of the more interesting and attractive nineteenth century surgical saws. See Weiss 1863, pl. III, fig. 8; Tiemann 1889, p. 104, fig. 1604; Bennion, p. 25 and fig. 10.
A fine c. 1900 antique monaural stethoscope marked: J. LEITER / WEIN. This is the first monaural stethoscope that this dealer has seen by the well-known Viennese maker Leiter.
A c. 1900 de Camus anesthesia inhaler with original pig bladder re-breathing bag. Note the two ports for ethyl-chloride ampoules. The rubber mouth and nose mask has an inflatable cuff. This is a fine antique anesthesia artifact.
A Nelaton's porcelain-tipped bullet probe as invented by Dr. Auguste Nelaton (1807-1873). Bullets at the time of the Civil War were made of lead and would leave a mark when in contact with the white tip of the probe. For a picture of the Nelaton's bullet probe used on President Lincoln, please click here. Note that the Lincoln Nelaton's probe has lost its porcelain tip. The carte-de-visite photograph is of Dr. Nelaton.
A c. 1840 French lacquered papier-mâché snuff box with three views of a numbered phrenological skull (front, side, and back) on the cover and a directory of twenty-seven sentiments on the bottom. The box has a 3 and 1/4 inch diameter.
A c. 1890 antique anatomical model of the heart by Bock-Steger, Lips [Leipzig]. The plaster model is over-life-size and stands 35.5 cm high.
A very rare Civil War navy surgeon's hat device. Note that the cloth has faded. This dealer has never seen another example of a Civil War USN surgeon's hat insignia in the market.
The George III appointment of Amos Turner as coroner of Plymouth County, Province of Massachusetts Bay. The partially printed and manuscript document is signed by Francis Bernard (1712-1779), Capt[ain]. Gen[era]l. & Gov[e]n[or]. In Chief of Our said Province, at Boston, the 28th Day of January 1762. The colonial appointment is embossed with the Royal Seal. For biographies of Sir Francis Bernard, who, besides being a colonial governor of Massachusetts, was the designer of Harvard Hall, please see this link.
A c. 1880 antique ear trumpet featured in the 1889 George Tiemann catalogue as: Fig. 2027.----German Silver Ear Trumpet. The antique hearing horn also appears in the Tiemann 1874 catalogue, Fig. 220.
A c. 1860 cork tap marked: S. MAW & SON / LONDON. This instrument is called a Soda Water or Champagne Tap...Maw's Prince of Wales' [model] in the pharmaceutical section of Maw's catalogues. Maw is a well-known maker of medical instruments and supplies and went by this name only in the 1860s. Note the Prince of Wales' feathers on the turns. See Bennion, p., 325.
A c. 1910 antique circumcision knife marked J.&D. Miller / NY / GUARANTEED. Note a second mark that is the Yiddish transliteration of Miller. Jacob and David Miller set-up business, in 1909, and specialized in Jewish circumcision knives and paraphernalia. The knife has a mother-of-pearl handle and its original case.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40. 41. 42. 43. 44. 45. 46. 47. 48. 49. 50. 51. 52. 53. 54. 55. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65.
Home Page Collecting Alerts Reference Books Wants